generated by sloganizer.net

15 October 2005

E=MC²

I have just finished reading Kierans blog from the last few days about his little debate for and against meat eating. Now any of you who know me will know that I love my meat. It would take an apocalyptic disease infecting every bovine and poultry form of life on the planet to stop me eating meat. However, I am not completely biased and I do see the vegetarian argument (but don't get me started on vegans). I would like to propose some of my reasons for eating meat or the reasons against not eating meat:

  1. I like the meat - simple but a good starting point.
  2. Circle of life - not the song by Elton John, but a reference to how creatures will do what is in their DNA, humans are omnivorous, we eat plants (for vitamins, minerals, antioxidents, carbs, and other things I can't think of at the moment) and meat (for protein, fats, various acids and apparently for making testosterone and other hormones). Now you may be able to get these thing from other vegetables, but the quantities of these nutrients are greater in meat. Granted, if you take the trouble you can be healthy without meat, but I still believe that meat always provides something that no amount of vegetables can satisfy, maybe it's blood.
  3. How far does it go - This world sucks. Nothing that we do in this world is anywhere near perfect. I myself believe that horse racing, hound hunts, smoking, George Bush, premiership football, and of course religion are all things that the world would be a better place without. But society and human beings need to be lazy or in a perfect world will always be an underlining factor in all human feats from now to eternity. Meat eating is the lazy satisfying option, the world might be better without meat eating (I doubt it) but it won't happen.
  4. Useful - As Kieran mentioned, a lot of the animals on the planet are hear by our bidding. We bring a lot of things into this world to serve us. In ye olden times, a mans cow or sheep, was his income, his living. The cow is useful for industry, leather, milk, meat(obviously), grazing(used in plantation process to grow better vegetables) and for keeping the grass short. Sheep for their wool, milk, two types of meat, etc. Most animals that we breed for meat will also provide other uses either by necessity or tradition.
  5. Morals - Vegetarianism boils down to morals in the long run. I have seen a cow being slaughtered and made into meat for sainsburys but the only thing it did to me was realize that I don't really care that much. That may sound a little insensitive but I have a lower appreciation of life than most people. I think of life as nothing but a by-product of solar creation and a collection of nerves and electrical impulses. Life should be cared for true, I would save children from fires, kittens from trees and so on, but I won't change or believe that we should change our eating habits from the way we have been made to be because of the death of a (mostly) well cared for, lived, and unaware animal life.

That is pretty much my arguments for my eating of meat. I think that now a lot of you will hate me, but I think that in the long run all life should be is to try and fufill our potential. Humans potential is to discover, we will try to find out everything about everything until the day the insects take over. Other life forms have different goals in their Evolution, and who is to say that some of the animals aren't around to feed other animals. Plants are here to provide life to other things. Cats, dogs, eagles, sharks and other animals at the top of the food chains all rule other their various domains in the animal kingdoms because of their brains, eating habits and killer instincts. Why can't humans be the rulers other our domain?

Species have come and gone in the history of this world, the vast majority of which have not been caused by humanity. Life is constantly improving itself and getting rid of other inferior beings to make way for the new and better versions. Basically life and evolution is a giant computer program constantly being patched and updated. Occasionally said program (Windows?) gets infected with a virus (humanity? Morals?) and it upsets the program. But the program will probably never be perfect.

I may be using too many smilies to say how I feel about meat eating and somehow comparing it to Microsoft (coincidence?) but I hope I got my point across. Now all this typing is hard work so I'm gonna grab a drink. Please post away to any point, I will soon post a counter argument :)thanks for reading.

2 Comments:

Blogger Mr K said...

I've just realised I haven't commented yet. I think a lot of pro-meat eating argument are moralising after the fact. Its a thing that makes your life a bit nicer, and more convinient, so you want it to be right, even though you suspect it might be wrong.

I just don't buy those circle of life arguments, certainly not from an atheist. You should know all too well that there is NO plan, and we are not MEANT to do anything. So all we have to go by is the moral code we go by. If your moral code allows you to eat meat, fair enough, mine certainly doesn't.

10:17 pm  
Blogger Fresher said...

I kinda meant by what we do because of our DNA. Animals require different things in their diet based on what their DNA makes them out to be. Cows require very little, they have 4 stomacs to digest the grass they eat because there isn't very much they can get out of it. Cats require copious amounts of meat because they require extra proteins and less vitamins. Humans require protein, vitamins, minerals, fats etc in variuos quantities and I beleive that meat is the best way to get these essentials in our diet.

11:04 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home